Sunday, April 1, 2012

Happy Easter!

There are a lot of trends in Australia that I have noticed, and yet to share with everyone. First of all, so many guys here have rat tails. The best are the bleached rat tails...lookin' good. I don't get it, its not attractive, at all. Also, guys' shorts are just that-short. At first I thought this was weird, being able to see guys' knees and thighs, but I've gotten used to it. I guess we're just much more conservative in the States, especially the girls. The shorts and skirts are super short. Everyone dresses cute everyday. I have yet to see an Australian girl wearing sweats or athletic shorts to class. I have definitely picked up on this and become so much less of a scrub. High buns and pony-tails are another big trend, when I don't feel like doing my hair, a high bun is usually what I go with. It's a little more put together than my "I just got out of the pool bun", but not much. 
As for what I have been up to this week...I have tried to manage my time wisely and get homework and studying in along with having some fun. Sunday afternoon some of us walked over to a Didgeridoo shop in Freo and got an hour lesson on how to play and the history of a didgeridoo. We were more into playing and less into learning, so really the only thing I learned is that didges are made out of branches of wood that have been hollowed out by termites and they come from the Northern parts of Australia and are used in ceremonies.
 The big Australian History paper was due Thursday and I pretty much had it finished by the weekend, so I spend some time at Bather's Beach on Wednesday. Later that evening our Australian friend Martha came over and we watched an Australian classic called Castle. It's a really dumb/funny movie (Dad, I think you would like it haha). After the movie Tai and I went out with Martha all around Freo. We weren't expecting a big night out but started at the Orient and ended up at The Newport, then the Click when Newport shut down. I survived my first experience of the Clink, and it really wasn't as bad as I've heard it to be, but thatm might just be because it was full of the American Study Abroad students. Thursday Tai and I went into City West where the outlet mall is and did a little shopping. I'm loving the summer sales and stocking up so I have a summer wardrobe when I come home to summer in June (: After shopping we took the train one stop to North Fremantle and walked to Leighton Beach. It was a beautiful beach, but extremely windy. 
Friday Tai, Georgia, and I did our typical coffee shop studying. This week we went to Breaks Cafe and spent hours studying. I was working on my Theatre paper that I just finished. 
We leave for Broome this Wednesday, so all our assignments for the week have to be turned in by Tuesday afternoon, so this weekend has been pretty hectic. On top of getting ready for Broome, we had our big Easter Celebration in Cleos since we will be gone over the holiday. We had a massive feast, and ten or so guests over. We also revealed who our secret bunnies were. I guess mine right, Hannah gave it away with her nursing references. My gift was a Joey pouch purse with a travel coffee mug and a coupon to go have a coffee with Hannah sometime (: Afterwards some of us went over to the Chapel for Palm Sunday Mass.

No comments:

Post a Comment