Sunday, March 11, 2012

Week 3

Last weekend was a fun relaxing weekend. A group of us went out to dinner at Little Creatures and enjoyed a cider to go along with our kangaroo. I'm glad I tried kangaroo before ever encountering one, although I still would have tried it at some point while I'm here. You can't go to Australia without trying kangaroo...After dinner we took the train into Perth and walked to King's Park and stayed to watch the sunset. It was beautiful and you could see right into the city from the park. 
Week two of school started off nicely with a public holiday. If I was still at Portland this would mean I wouldn't know it was a public holiday because I would still be in school...but thank God Australians like to celebrate national holidays and include the Uni kids as well! Monday was Labour Day and I already forgot what I did that day, but I'm sure it was fun. This week was pretty mellow, lots of reading and homework to be done and lots of time was spent at the library or just in my room. I made it to the beach a couple times considering it was about 100 degrees all week.
Wednesday morning all of Cleo's was up nice and early to participate in the Bather's Beach Triathalon. I was on one of the two Cleo's teams with Phil and Andrew. It started with the swimming leg of the race and I was the last one in the water and to the buoy, but the 4th or 5th one out of the water. Phil then ran and brought us in 2nd, Andrew then did the novelty even which involved filling a bucket of water with a container that had holes poked in the bottom. Our team came in 1st out of the study abroad houses we were competing against and 2nd or 3rd overall in the race. It was fun and made me feel a little better about missing the 2012 Beaver Freezer (Dad I hope Team 1-2-3 Adventure still makes an appearance. Maybe Bethany can swim in my honour!) 
Wednesday night a group of us went out to Newport in hopes of dancing and maybe meeting some nice Australian friends; unfortunately it was some weird random rap night and the only people in the club were some Navy guys. But they had a curfew of about 11, so we didn't talk to them much. Thursday night we tried to make an appearance at Metros, which is another club just down the street, but there was a lack of people there that night too, so we gave up and came home early and got some sleep.Friday I did homework ALL DAY after Australian History because we had so much planned for the weekend.






Saturday was spent at Caversham Wildlife Park. I got to pet and feed kangaroos and pet some koalas!
 The koalas were my favorite. In the afternoon we went and saw some farm animals and we all got to milk a cow, it's a good thing I already hate milk cause I would have after that experience. It was unbearably hot (105 degrees) which made the day very long and exhausting. Thankfully on Sunday we were in the water all day. We took sea kayaks out to Penguin Island. On the way we stopped by Seal Island and Shag Island where we saw some sea lions and the biggest pelicans I've ever seen. Tai and I shared a kayak and we got really close to one of the sea lions, we could almost touch it. When we got to Penguin Island we started off with a walk around it-it's super small and took about an hour. Then we got to watch the penguins get fed. The penguins are properly named "Little Penguins" and looked like little babies. We had lunch, then went snorkeling. Unfortunately the snorkeling was not very exciting at all. On our way back in we saw some fish feasting on a dead Octopus, which was interesting but I was hoping to see an octopus that was still alive...There are blue ring octopus that turn blue when they are agitated and they are poisonous and can cause people to consciously suffocate, so maybe it's good we didn't see a live one. My favorite part of the day was just being out on the water kayaking. Maybe I'll do some more kayaking when I get home (Dad and Steph...). (:
Tomorrow I have my first presentation in Modern Theatre. It's a 20 minute presentation on the play A Doll's House. Sooo hopefully that goes well! Next week I have an Ethics presentation, and 2 after that the big Australian History paper is due. So besides all the fun, I'm still going to school and studying, A LOT. Probably more than I would be in Portland...
Looking forward to spending St. Patrick's Day camping on Rottnest Island with the whole Cleo's family!

1 comment:

  1. The animals are sooo darn cute..and I have to also add how exciting it is that you are reading "A Doll's House"

    ReplyDelete